We carry a variety of SKIN CARE PRODUCTS that we personally use and love (for our pets… not on ourselves)… at prices that YOU will love.
THIS IS CRUCIALLY IMPORTANT!!! (So read this!) – If your pet is itchy, do NOT use warm to hot water when bathing and rinsing! Warm to hot water will often make your pet ITCHIER! (and nobody wants an itchier dog!). Yes, I know it’s tempting to use warm water, but give your itchy dog some relief. Bathe your itchy pet only using COOL WATER… then rinse only using COOL WATER… then towel dry (do not use a hot-air blow dryer !). Got it?
More “You Need to Know This” Info: If you have any connection with the medical profession, you already know that antibiotic resistance is becoming more and more of a problem. Why is this important? Because some infections are resistant to the antibiotics we have available, so we are unable to treat some infections in people. Scary? You bet! And the problem is becoming more common in pets as well, especially with skin infections. As of 2017, we are seeing about 1 out of 3 dogs have skin infections that we cannot control with our conventional antibiotics. In general, if we see a skin infection that keeps coming back, then it’s pretty certain that the pet has an antibiotic resistance. When that happens, we have to be far more aggressive in treating the problem topically (treating the surface of the skin with sprays, wipes, and bathing) rather than with antibiotic pills given by mouth.
Bathing Your Pets: Truth vs. Fiction. There is so much misinformation about bathing pets. Want the truth ? Here it is: What matters most is what type of shampoo you’re using. With the majority of pet shampoos, you can bathe your pets as often as you wish. (Read that again !) With our Aloe & Oatmeal Shampoo, for example, you can use it 2 or 3 times a week if you have the time and the desire to bathe your pet that often. And every time you bathe your pet with this shampoo, you will ADD moisturizers to the skin … not dry them out. So forget the old wives’ tales and old beliefs, and feel free to bathe your pet as often as you wish. Understand that the skin of dogs and cats has a different “pH” (level of acidity) from human skin, so human skin products can be damaging to a pet’s skin if used often. And to address a common myth that all vets get tired of hearing: NO, there is NOTHING magical about Dawn. It’s great for dirty dishes, and may help “de-grease” waterfowl caught in oil slicks, but it’s definitely not a good idea for your pets. So, I urge you to stop using Dawn (and Baby shampoo, too !) … Especially when there are far superior pet shampoos that will truly help enhance your pet’s skin and haircoat. It doesn’t bother me if you use Dawn (or baby shampoo) once or twice if you have nothing else available, BUT you definitely should not use it on a regular basis! – Dr Bob
- KETO-C Shampoo – I recommend this Ketoconazole + Chlorhexidine shampoo for dogs that suffer from skin allergies resulting in YEAST and/or BACTERIAL INFECTIONS on the skin. When the skin is infected, I like to use it 2 to 3 times weekly, then taper use to once a week or as needed once the infection is under control. Make sure to leave it on the skin for a minimum of 15 minutes (I recommend 15 minutes… hoping pet owners will leave it on for at least 10 minutes!) before rinsing it off. REMEMBER: A little bit goes a long way. Using more shampoo is not as beneficial as the length of time it’s in contact with the skin. Remember! If your pet is itchy, use COOL water bath and COOL water rinse and Towel Dry!
- KETO-C Skin Wipes – This is an extremely valuable Ketoconazole + Chlorhexidine product for those dogs that have yeast infections on the skin/between the toes or in isolated spots on the body. It is also a good choice to use on those dogs that are very uncooperative getting a bath but have persistent yeast / bacterial infections on the skin in small areas of the body. For maximum benefit, be sure to rub it fairly vigorously into the skin… not just a gentle wipe. I find it particularly useful for ‘yeasty’ feet and bellies and chest. I typically recommend using it twice a day for the first 7-1o days, then daily as needed.
- KETO-C Spray – Similar to the Keto-C Shampoo and Keto-C Skin Wipes in that it contains both Ketoconazole + Chlorhexidine, this is a very effective topical product for those dogs with yeast and bacterial infections of the skin. The spray is an excellent choice when the yeast and/or bacterial infection are fairly widespread over the body (when it would be impractical to use the Wipes). I recommend wearing gloves when using it. Spray it onto affected areas of skin, then work it vigorously down into the skin. It’s best to apply twice a day for the first 7-14 days, then daily as needed.
- Pramox-1 + Oatmeal (Anti-itch) Shampoo – This is an excellent choice for really ITCHY DOGS that are fortunate enough not to have skin lesions and skin infection present. The active ingredient Pramoxine is a very safe topical anesthetic to take away the itchiness and discomfort associated with allergies. Expect benefit for 24 to 48 hours. As with other medicated shampoos, it is best to leave it on the skin for 15 minutes (absolute minimum of 10 minutes) for the most benefit. As mentioned earlier ~ REMEMBER: A little bit goes a long way. There are no detergents in the shampoo, so don’t expect a lot of lather. Using more shampoo is not as beneficial as the length of time it’s in contact with the skin. AND … Remember ! If your pet is itchy, use COOL water bath and COOL water rinse and Towel Dry!
- Aloe & Oatmeal Shampoo – This is an excellent gentle moisturizing shampoo with some anti-itching benefit. I consider it the best choice for all-purpose use. AND it can be used 2 or 3 times a week if you want or need to bathe your pet that often. It has a Coconut/Pina Colada scent to it. REMEMBER: A little bit goes a long way. There are no detergents in the shampoo, so don’t expect a lot of lather. Using more shampoo is not nearly as beneficial as the length of time it’s in contact with the skin. Remember! If your pet is itchy, use COOL water bath and COOL water rinse and Towel Dry!