Hurricane Preparedness for Pets
Now that Hurricane Florence has hit the North Carolina coast, I wanted to be sure your preparation plans include your pets.
~ Dr. Bob
When packing and preparing an emergency kit, here are some items your pets may need:
- Water, water, and more water. At least 7days worth for each person and pet in your home.
- Food. Enough food to last for 7 days. Be sure to store the food in an airtight container and use only canned food if you find yourself in a desperate situation. *Remember* changing diets can lead to diarrhea and dehydration.
- Proper transport for each pet
- Disposable litter trays. Aluminum pans work great!
- Paper towels
- Liquid dish soap
- Garbage bags for clean up
- Pet food and water bowls
- Medical records and medicine for your pet(s)
- Photos of your pet (on the off chance they get lost in the storm)
- For cats: litter, pillowcase, toys
- For dogs: long leash, yard stake, toys, cage liners
I cannot stress the importance of keeping your pet up to date on his/her vaccines and also having them microchipped. These are items we at Carolina Value Pet Care can assist you with! Please visit our site to learn more and to see where our clinics will be in the coming days.
For additional information on how you can help your pets during the storm, please visit the following sites: